Thursday, September 23, 2010

My Grandma


A few weeks ago, just before we started school, my children and I took a quick trip up to Oregon to see my dear grandma. She's my mom's mom and a very precious lady. Our last trip to Oregon was when I was still pregnant with Emily, so this was her first time meeting her youngest great granddaughter. My aunt tried to prepare me for what it may be like when we go to see her. Her health has deteriorated significantly since our last visit two years ago. Sometimes when I talk to her on the phone she gets confused and forgets who she's talking to, but God blessed us this visit with a lucid Grandma. We took her to dinner and spent an afternoon visiting her in her home. The girls colored pictures for her and Braden brought "sorry" to play. It was a precious time. Now just a couple weeks later, my grandma has been hospitalized three times since our visit. She's having trouble with her heart. I don't know very many details, but they did put in a pacemaker which helped some of her issues, but not all of her health problems have been resolved. Last I heard she's still in the hospital with an elevated heart enzyme. I'm not exactly sure what that means other than that her heart is not happy. My grandma loves the Lord and misses being among God's people. She was so active in serving her church until now. I don't know how much time she has left here. Only God knows, but I do know that when her days here are completed, she will go home. She will no longer suffer with a frail body that can't do all it once could. Please pray for my grandma. Whether she has years ahead of her or a much shorter time, pray that she would finish the race God has placed before her. That He would be her constant companion, comfort in her suffering, and her hope. Thank you dear friends.

4 comments:

Stef said...

I had no idea you have a blog! I was going through my list of "followers" and wondered who "joyful mommy" is :)
Do you mind if I add your blog to my list on my website?

Stef said...

I commented before reading this post - SO glad you guys got to go to OR to visit your Grandma! What a special thing for her. I will pray for her. I'll remember to pray for her on the days I pray for my Grandpa and Jason's Grandmas. Then I won't forget.

Next time you want to take a "quick" trip, come farther North and see us! :)

Joyful Mommy said...

Thank you Stef, for praying for my grandma! It is an encouragement to me to know that you are praying for her. And yes, of course you may add me to your blog list. I don't post very often, but share when I can. :) We'd love to come see you sometime. I've actually never been to Washington, but it looks beautiful from the pictures you've posted!

Stef said...

Washington is definitely beautiful, but I think Oregon is also quite breathtaking! Every time we drive through OR on our way to CA, I tell Jason how much I'd love to drive through there much slower (maybe take a few days) and just really enjoy especially the Oregon coast. Its definitely an amazing sight!