Thursday, July 14, 2011

Death and Suffering

Death is not my favorite subject. I doubt it is for anyone. It is a painful reminder of our fallen state. It reminds me how sinful our sin really is, that death is the penalty. Today is my parents wedding anniversary. She would have been celebrating 42 years of marriage to my father, and turning 69 in five days. Instead I remember her birthday and anniversary, but cannot call her to tell her how precious she is to me. I miss her greatly, but hers is not the only death on my mind. My Dear Aunt told me this week that she has been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and liver cancer. There was a lot of information in her email that I didn't understand, but I know this isn't good news. The treatments she will face are only to prolong her life, not cure her. Her greatest prayer isn't for her healing, but for the salvation of her husband and sons. As a believer, she knows that at the end of her hard-fought battle, she will be healed and forever beholding her God and King, so her prayer is for them. So I am asking you, dear friends to please pray for my uncle, and cousins. That they will know that their sin is against a Holy God, and that they will turn to the Only One who can save them. And please pray for my Aunt who is suffering from this horrible illness. Pray that she will endure by His strength this very painful road. Thank you.

3 comments:

Joyful Mommy said...

Oh and my cat died this morning and Braden's guppy died yesterday. He doesn't know yet. Today is rough. :(

Gina said...

I can only imagine how heavy your heart must feel. There's a lot on your plate right now! I'm sorry to hear your cat died and I hope Braden took the news of his fish well. As for the family, I will pray for them and you as you walk along on this journey. May His peace be abundant!

Joyful Mommy said...

Thank you Gina. I appreciate your prayers and encouragement. The kids are taking the news pretty well. They were sad about the cat and Braden's fish, and have expressed concern for my Aunt, but they continue to play and life goes on. Today they had the whole living room set up and they were playing school. It's funny. I guess they miss it during the summer. :) As much as I love teaching my children, I am thankful for the summer months off. I don't think we would have gotten much done yesterday, but today is a new day.